Quodlibet

n. 14th century Latin "whatever pleases" 1: whatever

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

ok, my turn to turn on the weirdness

I guess I have a few things to say after all - was getting worried that I am unbearably ordinary...

weird thing #1
I am rather antsy about long nails. anything more than 1.1mm has to go. i get uneasy tingling sensations emanating from the nails - they get nerves when overgrown. i don't think i cut very much more regularly than most people, but a few times i've HAD to on a trip or in some place with no nail-clipper (i have variously used Swiss army knife scissors, bought one of those crappy clippers, or just toughed it out). maybe the truly weird thing is that my nails grow faster when i'm travelling. those frazzled moments probably magnify the significance of this weirdness.

weird thing #2
I have kept a pony tail three times, the longest of which reached mid-back. I had the locks shorn the first time for a scholarship interview (didn't get it), the second time for a job interview (got it), third for a wedding (mine). Society just couldn't accept a groom with longer hair than his bride.

weird thing #3
Scents have a tendency to evoke memories - more of places or times than people. Soaps, furniture, musty rooms (especially my late grandparents' house in Ipoh - there was something ineffably one-of-a-kind about the smell of that home, unchanged in 20 years, probably longer, exuding a warm greeting whenever I entered).

weird thing #4
My skeleton is out of whack. Left shoulder is longer than right, ribcage feels oddly shaped, my kneecaps slide around when exerting the legs. It's called patellofemural pain, and it's not fun. My consolation is that it adds to my unique weirdness.

weird thing #5
Almost all the time I need to wake up for exceptional reasons, I go ahead and set the alarm, and wake up some minutes before it rings. Like there's an internal clock running a few steps ahead.

weird thing #6
I have eaten beatle, scorpion, cricket, biawak, turtle and sago worm. I've been waiting for the right forum to share this.

posted by howcan at 11:58 pm

1 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

Hey, I have scent-evoked memory too! It's also triggered by temperature! Any smell + temperature combination is sure to take me back to a time and place in the past. Specifically, cold air + mothball smell, like at certain hotel washrooms, bring an instant flashback to the the Bannockburn School PE gym changing room. It's weird. Wow, I think I'll do a post on this...

12:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

  • aiyo - tagged!
  • images of spring (break)
  • resurrection
  • anniversary
  • In Toronto at the moment. It's been a restless day...
  • winter rears its ugly head...but I'm not (yet) com...
  • My Non-Vow of Near Silence
  • gongxigongxi
  • san neen fai lok
  • radical christianity - tribute to MLK

Powered by Blogger