Quodlibet

n. 14th century Latin "whatever pleases" 1: whatever

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

winter rears its ugly head...but I'm not (yet) complaining

Winter still wants to have its say...after a late start. Global warming doesn't necessarily mean that all the days of winter will be warm. It does mean that it throws earth's delicate balance completely off. Today's weather wasn't terribly unusual for a New England winter. With the wind, we dipped to a HIGH of -10F (~-20C). At one point today, the winds stopped in my tracks and almost blew me off my feet.

However, with the penguins in Antarctica and our Canadian neighbours in mind, I managed to, dare I say, appreciate the bitter cold. In my global warming class, we learned that snow has the highest albedo (that is, it reflects sunlight, hence heat, more than any other surface), keeping earth from getting too warm. This delicate balance is being challenged everyday.

I'm not wishing that spring will come early. I'm not even wishing that it will get warmer soon...yet. I want to savour the cold, thanking the Almighty for caring for the little details in life...like increasing the earth's albedo.

Do your bit to reverse global warming and restore earth's sustainability. Do it, not because your individual effort will make a big dent in the bigger scheme of things. Do it because it's the right thing to do.

Labels: Environment

posted by jacqui_woo at 6:15 pm

2 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

You know, after I watched March of the Penguins... (and after reading your post!) I feel disinclined to complain about the cold winds here...

Anyway... I did realise that this year, the effects of global warming are more evident to the man on the street (whether or not he's aware or concerned about the environment). It's getting harder to ignore the severe weather patterns when it's more than just ice melting into the sea.

8:03 pm  
Blogger jacqui_woo said...

I'm glad the everyman felt at least a little pinch this time round...hope it's enough to kick some of us into action.

I was thinking of the poor penguins braving the winds today!!

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

  • My Non-Vow of Near Silence
  • gongxigongxi
  • san neen fai lok
  • radical christianity - tribute to MLK
  • diamond song (again)
  • song from the 80s
  • Global warning
  • last days...
  • repetunitis aka earworm
  • star light star bright

Powered by Blogger