Quodlibet

n. 14th century Latin "whatever pleases" 1: whatever

Sunday, February 11, 2007

radical christianity - tribute to MLK


On Friday, our b/s group went to Amherst College for a celebration of the life and works of Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr. The more I know of the man, the greater my respect for him. What a radical man and of such integrity and vision! MLK's life was a really sparkling testimony of the gospel of justice, equality and love. Although he primarily preached against black inferiorism, he also spoke boldly against the war in Vietnam. It was startling how many of the things he said about Vietnam still holds true today (just substitute Vietnam with Iraq).

It was a wonderful evening, from start to end. The Amherst Choral Society, comprising the Women's Chorus and Men's Glee Club, was simply delightful - raising their voices to some powerful, traditional hymns. I had never really been to a proper multi-faith service, so this was a really interesting experience. Although it was unashamedly more Christian because of MLK's background and the African American tradition, there was a beautiful sense of grace extended to the other faiths present. Standing with the Protestant and Catholic "representatives" were a Jewish rabbi and Muslim religious advisor.

The address was given by Rev Dr Jeremiah Wright (also Jr). There's something about being in an African or African American congregation. Although probably only 20% were African American or African, they made sure they were heard! I almost don't mind complying when the preacher tells me to preach to the brother or sister next to me (say "that was then, this is now!"). It's so part of their tradition and culture that it would be unnatural if the congregation did not interact with the preacher. I was blessed and just had a darn good time! I later found out that Rev Wright pastors the church where one of America's most talked about politician goes to (hmm...more brownie points for that politician whom I actually like a lot).

At the end of the service, in response to the sermon, someone from the congregation spontaneously burst out in a powerful voice singing an old Black hymn. The congregation sang along acapella. Heaven doesn't need music when we all lift our voices in unison like that.

Labels: Christianity

posted by jacqui_woo at 6:09 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

  • diamond song (again)
  • song from the 80s
  • Global warning
  • last days...
  • repetunitis aka earworm
  • star light star bright
  • when I should be studying
  • how shall I miss thee?
  • Stinky meals
  • Turkey number two

Powered by Blogger