Blogging my way to a job (a small job)
Insinuating blogging experience into my curriculum vitae secured me a job. At least that's what I'd like to believe. About 2 weeks ago, a professor posted a small Research Assistantship offer, to which I responded with alacrity. It's an informal process, consisting of an email to the prof with relevant information. Up to that point, the only things I self-profiled were the usual boring stuff about previous research work and "competency" in using some software. He responded with... a follow up question through email. Wow, here it is: do you know how to set up a webpage?
Good thing it wasn't a face-to-face interview, because I would have gone mumbly. My email reply - ah the beauty of electronic communication - at least did not reveal any hesitation or head-scratching. I didn't manage much substance either, replying, "I have dabbled in blogging". Which is not untrue. And I added that I could learn about webpage design from a friend. That's quite correct as well.
The next day I was offered the job! The professor hasn't told me to anything related to websites, not yet. But I will cling to the theory that my cyberworld experience, albeit slim, was the clincher. And now that I have aired my intention to learn to build a webpage, I should learn it anyway. Not tonight, though, I just returned from an overnight trip to New York City to apply for Canadian visas for us to attend a wedding in London (Ontario) and Thanksgiving dinner in Toronto, October 6-9. We got them!
In slightly over 2 weeks we get to partake in something dear to North American life: driving one whole day (8-9 hours from Amherst to Toronto), listening to the radio (have to la to stay awake) and eating a greasy lunch (maybe).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home