Quodlibet

n. 14th century Latin "whatever pleases" 1: whatever

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Homeward Bound! ... via HK!

Finally got our tickets home after weeks of research. Airfare seems to go up by the day! We were supposed to fly China Airlines until the rates changed, and Cathay Pacific worked out to be a cheaper/better flight anyway. The upside of this change of plans is - we get to stop over in Hong Kong on the way! Yippee!

I don't know why I'm so excited. HK has never really been on my travel radar. Firstly, this was very unexpected. It started as an innocent question about stopover charges and minutes later, we will be spending 3.5 days in HK. Secondly, unbeknownst to many (HL seemed surprised when I told her), I grew up on HK mini series and sitcoms. Yup - I faithfully followed Man in the Net and Wong Yat Wah's flying in the skies, waaaay before Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I'm half Cantonese, y'see, and my mum's family's diet largely consists of these Chinese drama serials.

I've also heard nothing but rave reviews about food and shopping in HK. I've always been curious about chow dau foo (smelly grilled (I think) tofu) and the numerous dumpling and noodle shops that strew the streets. This will be a welcome change to the Americanised greasy pseudo-Chinese food (ugh!) we get here. I'll be collecting advice on things to see and places to eat from the initiated soon.

posted by jacqui_woo at 9:28 pm

3 Comments:

Blogger jesscet said...

Hi Jacqui, you guys will enjoy Hong Kong! hehe, i have been there more than dozen times but still not sick of it.. ;)

Heard you'd like some tips or recommendation of where to stay/go/eat etc? I don't claim to be an expert of HK but maybe can help..or at least i can ask my sis (who lives there more than 10 years now)..

1:30 pm  
Blogger jacqui_woo said...

Will definitely get some tips from you soon ;)

7:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eeeekkkkkk! i luv hongkong!!!
twas on my travel calendar this year, but not able to make it.
enjoy yourselves there, i love it!
3 trips there, and i'm still not bored.

8:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

  • More Favourite Songs
  • Nothing is Beyond You
  • Xin Nien Kwai Le!
  • End of the Spear
  • Paaked in Haaved Yaad
  • First Days Boston 2006
  • Welcoming 2006!
  • Tucking in
  • Celebrating Joy!
  • Graduate International Fall Retreat

Powered by Blogger